Thursday, March 5, 2009

Curtain Call

Posted by Cliff Chamberlain.

The great thing about working and rehearsing at the Goodman is that if you ask for something, like a prop, there’s about a 100% chance that you’ll get it.

The next day.

“Is there any way I can get an old-school capo and a leather guitar strap?”
“Absolutely.”

“Can I get a harmonica for that scene in Act One?”
“Of course, here’s eight of them. In different keys.”

“Hey, I was thinking my character should be eating Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups in this scene.”
“Those weren’t invented yet, Cliff.”
“Damn. You. Are. Good.”

That,
My friends,
Is quality Stage Management.
The Goodman is packed with awesome Stage Managers.
And Designers.
And Costumers.
And Dressers.
And Assistants.
And Run Crew.
And Sound Operators.
And Prop Masters.
And the list goes on .

An actor must never forget that they do the real work.
We just get to play.

I have to say.
It’s unfortunate that there’s no curtain call for those who are backstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment