Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Echoes of Our Past

Posted by Terrence Mosley (Assistant Director of The Good Negro)

I was Chuck Smith's Assistant Director on a play called First Words by Aaron Carter at MPAACT, and I was honored when he asked me to be his assistant for this important and relevant play by Tracey Scott Wilson.

We have been in rehearsal for about a week now, and it has been an incredible experience. It's pure electricity in the room, and all of the actors in the cast are bringing their A-game to Tracey’s amazing and challenging piece.

The strides that King and his contemporaries made in the 1960s have allowed me, as an African American, many basic freedoms. His work has made the playing ground more equal for all.

King's dreams echo in the dreams of President Barack Obama, whose bipartisanship and innovative ideas are reminiscent of King’s. I don't think President Obama's openness would be possible without leaders like King who, at the risk of losing a whole people's shot at equality and dignity, had to constantly be the "Good Negro.” Leaders like King were just men, however. They were not saints or saviors; they were just men with thoughts, fears and faults.

The Good Negro reminds me how much of our past echoes in our present, and I hope that people will remember what it took to get here, and decide to continue to press forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment